Dan concentrates his practice in complex commercial, intellectual property litigation, and white-collar investigations. Dan is CIPP/US certified and also counsels clients in data management and privacy matters. He represents companies in matters including product liability, trademark infringement, contractual disputes, and internal investigations. Dan has represented regional clients in the RV and medical device industries, as well as global mass media companies and e-commerce providers. Dan was recognized as a Rising Star in 2021 and 2022 by Super Lawyers.
Previously, Dan practiced at a boutique firm in Chicago, representing a Fortune 500 company in mass tort litigation. Dan has represented clients in multidistrict litigation and has extensive practice in the Indiana Commercial Courts.
During his time at the University of Notre Dame, Dan was a four-year letterman for the University of Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team. He was voted alternate captain during his senior season and helped lead the Fighting Irish to the National Championship game. Dan also served as the President of the NCAA Student Athletic Advisory Committee. Dan was honored with the Byron V. Kanaley award given to the most exemplary student and leader among senior athletes.
In previous cases, Dan has:
- Defended a Fortune 500 medical device manufacturer in a multidistrict litigation, in both federal and state courts, concerning alleged product defects.
- Defended a Fortune 1000 broadcasting company in mass tort wrongful death litigation.
- Defended an international e-commerce provider in copyright infringement litigation, successfully obtaining dismissal of all claims against the client.
- Defended a Fortune 500 e-commerce provider in a libel action under § 230 of the Communications Decency Act, obtaining a defense verdict at trial.
- Represented an RV electronics component manufacturer against an RV component supplier in a case involving theft of trade secrets, successfully obtaining a preliminary injunction against the supplier.
- Represented a large physician practice group in claims brought under the Indiana Medical Malpractice Act.
- Counseled a national trade organization and provided multiple 50-state compendiums of current legislation governing the trade industry.
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D.
- Editor, Saint Louis University Law Journal
- University of Notre Dame, B.A.
- Four-Year Letterman, Hockey
- Northern District of Indiana
- Southern District of Indiana
- Northern District of Illinois
- Southern District of Illinois
Selected Case Coverage
- Lippert Components Preparing Challenge to Fraud Claim in Updated Corporate Lawsuit, Ambrose, A., Goshen News, Oct. 7, 2020
- Company Can Bring Fraud Claim into Lippert Lawsuit, Weiser, J., Goshen News, Oct. 6, 2020
- A Tale of Betrayal Lies in Lawsuit Accusing Lippert Components of Stealing Trade Secrets, Sheckler, C., South Bend Tribune, Apr. 21, 2020
- Court Battle Continues Between ASA Electronics and Lippert Components, RV News, Apr. 14, 2020
- ASA Gains Preliminary Injunction Against Lippert, Verdon, M., Tradeonlytoday.com, Nov. 7, 2019
- Lippert Files Suit Against Former President, Tradeonlytoday.com, Jan. 25, 2019
- $1.7M Settlement in Deadly Chicago Nightclub Stampede, Bodine, L., Nationaltriallawyers.org, Aug. 20, 2014