John represents plaintiffs and defendants in a broad range of commercial cases, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and misrepresentation, construction, intellectual property, and employment. He has also represented both plaintiffs and defendants in personal injury and products liability cases and defendants in federal criminal matters.
From 1994 to 2008, John practiced in Dallas, Texas, for a global Am Law 100 firm and a nationally recognized firm specializing in litigation. He clerked for the Honorable A. Joe Fish of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas. Before becoming an attorney, John worked as a mechanical engineer in Chicago.
John is also a registered civil mediator, focusing his mediation practice on commercial disputes and personal injury litigation. In addition, John serves as an adjunct professor at the Notre Dame Law School, where he teaches in the trial skills program, including Intensive Trial Advocacy and Deposition Skills.
In his practice, John has represented:
- An international orthopedics manufacturer against nationwide products liability actions consolidated in multidistrict litigation.
- Minority shareholders in a closely held corporation against the majority shareholder for breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Institutional investors in trial and through appeal in a case involving the wrongful redemption of over $250 million in corporate bonds.
- The family of a teenager in trial and through appeal who suffered traumatic injuries in a bus crash.
- A worker seriously injured on defective airport equipment.
- A Fortune 500 client in a technically and legally complex case involving the defective construction of the corporate headquarters.
- A national restaurant franchisor in a variety of business and personal injury lawsuits across the United States.
- The family of a billboard worker who was electrocuted on the job.
- Several manufacturers in defense of products liability claims, including motorboats, agricultural equipment, and garage door openers.
- A semiconductor manufacturer in multiple patent infringement actions against a competitor.
- A magazine publisher against a competitor in a trademark infringement and unfair competition case in connection with the publisher’s magazine title.
- A general contractor in a multimillion-dollar dispute in connection with the construction of a hospital.
- Plaintiffs and defendants in premises liability cases.
- Southern Methodist University, J.D., magna cum laude
- Editor in Chief of the Law Review Association’s Journal of Air and Commerce
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., Mechanical Engineering
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit