John is a certified fraud examiner who serves as an investigator for SouthBank Legal in white-collar criminal cases and internal investigations. He is a former Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. As an FBI Agent, John focused on the investigation of white-collar crimes, including mail fraud, wire fraud, health care fraud, bankruptcy fraud, and social security fraud. John was a lead FBI investigator on the Salt Lake City Olympics bribery investigation and participated in a number of high-profile investigations, including the Oklahoma City bombing case and the Montana Freemen case. John held a Top Secret, Sensitive Compartmentalized Information (TS/SCI) Security Clearance in the FBI.
John also previously practiced as an attorney. John served for eight years as Associate General Counsel and Director of International Trade Compliance for a military contractor, where he ensured compliance with laws that govern the import and export of products and technology, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Before that, John worked at a law firm handling land use and zoning issues, contract disputes, and fraud and misrepresentation matters.
In previous matters, John has:
- Aided federal prosecutors around the United States in investigations and prosecutions.
- Testified in federal grand jury proceedings.
- Investigated and reported on internal hotline and other complaints regarding alleged violations of law and company policy.
- Ensured that potential regulatory violations were investigated and disclosed according to United States regulations and company policies.
- Defended an automotive manufacturer in breach of warranty claims in state and federal courts.
- Defended Indiana state agencies in various tort litigation cases.
- Defended a leading North American provider of EIFS, stucco, and special finishes and coatings in mold litigation cases.
- Represented one of the world’s largest video rental chains in a real estate dispute.
- Represented a family-owned container manufacturer in claims involving breach of contract, fraud, and misrepresentation.
- Advised a commercial maintenance company in general litigation and employment matters.
- Advised a regional restaurant franchisor regarding trademark infringement matters.
- Represented multiple financial institutions in breach of contract and collections matters.
- Served as general counsel for a leading developer of wireless communication towers nationwide.
- Assisted company personnel with negotiating, amending, and/or drafting Proprietary Information Agreements, Terms and Conditions, Consulting Agreements, Independent Contractor Agreements, Service Agreements, Purchase Orders, and Contracts.
- Valparaiso University School of Law, J.D.
- Seton Hall University, M.A.
- Indiana University, B.A.