Tiernan is a member of SouthBank Legal’s Chambers-ranked commercial litigation team and focuses on resolving complex legal disputes. He has experience at every stage of litigation and in a wide range of cases under state and federal law, including appeals of multimillion-dollar verdicts. His representation has often included assertion of clients’ constitutional and civil rights.
Previously, Tiernan practiced at a leading commercial, regulatory, and constitutional litigation boutique in Washington, D.C. A graduate of Harvard Law School, he also completed a Ph.D. in political science at the University of Notre Dame and clerked for Judge Edith H. Jones on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
In prior cases, Tiernan has:
- Represented a Fortune 25 company in an action seeking tens of millions of dollars in damages from the United States for breach of contract to reimburse environmental remediation costs.
- Represented a government contractor in appeals of multimillion-dollar jury verdicts on wage-and-hour claims brought by a class of workers and a state enforcement agency.
- Represented a government contractor in an action challenging an unconstitutional state regulation of federal contractors’ operations.
- Represented individuals and nationwide non-profit associations in an action challenging a state law restricting the exercise of constitutional rights.
- Represented a medical-products company in a dispute with its top corporate customer regarding indemnification for damages caused by a third-party fraudster.
- Defended a government contractor against state government efforts to obtain its records through subpoenas and to inspect its facilities.
- Counseled a manufacturer on liability risks arising from its advertising materials.
- Harvard Law School, J.D.
- Deputy Editor in Chief, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy
- University of Notre Dame, Ph.D., Political Science
- Princeton University, B.A., magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana